Surrounding Tourist spots
Ten Gu An
As early as 1896, the Japanese Hirata Gengo established Taiwan’s first Japanese hot spring hotel “Tiangouan” at Beitou. Today the main building has been torn down and only the stone stairs and the two pebble pillars are left for people to visit.
Built in 1911, Beitou park is over one hundred years old. Along the sides of the park are the buildings of hot spring businesses, which have become the cultural center Beitou hot spring.
Beitou Library (Green Building)
Located in Beitou park, Beitou library is Tai-wan’s first green library and has won nu-merous architecture and design awards. In 2012, it was selected by an American website as one of the “25 most beautiful public libraries in the world”
Beitou Hot Spring Museum
Built in 1913, it used to be Taiwan’s largest public baths. Now it is designated as a Grade Three historic site where newly-weds come to take wedding photos because of its elegant English building and luxuriant lawn.
Long Nice Hot Spring
Located next to Beitou River Second Falls and known in the early days as “Realm of Three Fairies”, Long Nice Hot Spring is a first-generation hot spring venue preserved from the period of Japanese occupation. Its form and atmosphere resembles that of Japan, and the hot spring is still in operation today.
Beitou Park Playground
Formerly known as “Beitou Public Baths Affiliated Playground”, Beitou Park Playground was previously home to a large cage used as a zoo in the early days. Later, it was changed to become a rest area for guests visiting the hot spring. Although the playground facilities include only a terrazzo slide, swing and old tree, it remains an important childhood memory for local residents.
Plum Garden Beitou
Built before 1920, Plum Garden Beitou is a luxury residence that has lived through the war. It has a Japanese-styled wooden structure with the architectural features of an air raid shelter. The doorpost at the entrance bears the Chinese characters “梅庭” (Plum Garden) personally inscribed by “sage of calligraphy” Yu Youren, and once served as a hideout during summer and birthdays and a retreat for him.
The garden is surrounded by fog all year round with extremely high water temperatures. A legend of the Ketagalan people has it that there once lived a powerful witch who heated up the stream water here, and thus “Pataw” meaning “witch” in Ketagalan language became the “Beitou” we know today. After development and utilization of hot spring resources began, the geothermal valley also became a famous scenic spot in Beitou area as a result.
Xinbeitou Historic Station
Built in 1916, Xinbeitou Historic Station is the only station along Tamsui Line of Taiwan Railway still existing. The railway was built to transport passengers to the Beitou hot spring area, and was the earliest railway built for sightseeing in Taiwan. The station is constructed entirely by wood joinery, and the hollow patterned ventilation windows along the roof and “3+1” roof windows are the highlights of the station. In 1988, the station became history when Tamsui Line operations ended, and it was demolished and relocated to the Taiwan Folk Village in Changhua. Later, following restoration efforts, it was rebuilt near its original site on April 1st, 2017 and officially opened to the public.
Puji temple was built in a Japanese style in 1905. It is among the rare Japanese Shingon Buddhist temples in Taiwan and a city monument with a history of 100 years. Within the temple is enshrined the “Tangshou Guanyin” who guards over the hot springs.